Australian Capital Territory
3 Steps to get your Motorcycle licence in the A.C.T.
Before entering the exciting world of motorcycling, you must obtain a rider licence. To get that licence, new riders need to complete a three step rider licence training and assessment scheme. Stay Upright Rider Training administers that scheme on behalf of the ACT Government.
- Step 1. Pass a Pre-Learner Training Course to get your Ls
- Step 2. Pass the Provisional Training Course and
- Step 3. Provisional Licence Assessment to get your Ps
Getting your Learner Licence
- Minimum age – 16 years and 9 months
- Licence status – a current Australian driver licence ('C' class - learner, provisional or open). If your driver licence was issued elsewhere, visit Rego ACT for more information on converting to an ACT equivalent. Interstate and overseas learner driver licences cannot be converted to an ACT equivalent without first completing the Road Ready Training Program.
- Prior Knowledge or experience – none, the course is aimed at complete novices
- Physical attributes – good balance, coordination, reasonable physical fitness.
- Literacy – no written test but a good oral command of the English language.
- Clothing – sturdy clothing offering full skin cover.
- Other Equipment– a motorcycle or automatic scooter, helmet and gloves will be provided for your use during the course.
How do I book?
To see when you can book and what your course will cost, click on the calender below and begin your adventure into motorcycle riding.
Format and Content
The learner course runs for 7 hours over two half days on Saturday/Sunday, single day courses usually during the week. Our expert team of professional instructors will guide you through a number of activities learning basic control and defensive riding techniques.
What If You Have Difficulty During Pre-Learner Training
While pre-learner training course is exciting and heaps of fun, there is a serious side. Some people take longer to pick things up and if you are unable to demonstrate a particular skill, for safety reasons, you will be stopped riding. Personalised programs are available to complete your training.
When You Pass Pre-Learner Training
Once you have your learner rider licence, what then?
Ride at every opportunity, practicing everything you learned on your course. Stay Upright offers a range of other training options to help you develop. Provisional training and assessment is your next step.
Getting your Provisional License
To obtain an ACT Provisional rider licence, learner riders must pass the 7 hour Provisional Training Course and Provisional Assessment which is also called the M.O.S.T (Motorcycle Operators Skill Test).
Minimum age – 17 years
Licence status – current ACT learner rider licence held for at least three months.
Knowledge or experience – practice all the skills learned at pre-learner training, research the M.O.S.T.
Clothing – sturdy clothing offering full skin cover.
Other Equipment – bring your own motorcycle or scooter and riding gear. Hire equipment is available, fees apply.
How do I book?
To see when when you can book and what your course will cost, click on the calender below.
- Via our online booking portal (Visa or Mastercard only)
- by phone (Visa or Mastercard only)
- In person (EFTPOS)
- by direct deposit over the counter at any NAB branch or via internet transfer to:
BSB: 082-240 Account No: 65 817 3266 Account Name: Stay Upright Payment Reference: your first and last name
- Stay Upright will not credit or refund course fees if you are late for your course, if you are unwilling to follow course safety rules or if you are unable to demonstrate competency in any course activity.
- Fees paid may be postponed or transferred to an alternate course or held in credit provided at least five (5) full business days notice is received prior to the start date. "Business day" means Monday through Friday excluding public holidays).
- Fees paid are generally not refundable however if any refund is requested it must be done so in writing and if approved by the state manager will incur an admin/cancellation fee.
- For more details please ensure you read our Terms and Conditions
Where are we:
65 Hincksman street Queanbeyan NSW 2620